Many laws, regulations and policies, in a variety of jurisdictions, regulate the goods and services that may be bought and sold. For your convenience, we have prepared a list of some of the types of prohibited and restricted items the advertisement for sale, offer, or exchange of which is not permitted on craigslist.
craigslist users remain responsible for complying with all applicable laws, regulations or restrictions on items, services, or manner of sale, payment or exchange, that may apply to transactions in which they participate—including but not limited to those imposed by the state of California, where craigslist physically resides. We encourage you to research the applicable laws and regulations that may apply to your usage of and activities on and relating to craigslist.
Partial list of items for sale and services the advertisement of which is not permitted on craigslist:
- Child pornography, obscene materials, offers or solicitation of illegal prostitution.
- Weapons and related items, including firearms, ammunition, silencers, pellet/BB guns, tear gas or stun guns.
- Items issued to United States Armed Forces that have not been disposed of in accordance with Department of Defense demilitarization policies.
- Food stamps, WIC vouchers, SNAP EBT cards, SNAP or WIC foods, infant formula, etc. and other items received from governmental agencies or programs.
- Fireworks, including "safe and sane" fireworks or any destructive devices or explosives.
- Alcohol or tobacco products. Controlled substances or illegal drugs, substances and items used to manufacture controlled substances and drug paraphernalia.
- Prescription drugs and medical devices, including prescription or contact lenses, defibrillators, hypodermic needles or hearing aids. Nonprescription drugs that make false or misleading treatment claims or treatment claims that require FDA approval.
- Blood, bodily fluids or body parts.
- Household pets of any kind including dogs, cats, primates, cage birds, rodents, reptiles, amphibians, fish. Re-homing with small adoption fee OK. Pet animal parts, blood, or fluids are also not permitted, including stud/breeding service.
- Restricted or regulated plants and insects, including noxious weeds, endangered plant species, or live insects or pests.
- Pesticides or hazardous substances, or items containing hazardous substances including contaminated toys, or art or craft material containing toxic substances without a warning label.
- Illegal telecommunications equipment, including access cards, signal jamming devices, password sniffers, unloopers, or cable descramblers.
- Stolen property, or property with serial number removed or altered. Burglary tools, including lock-picks or motor vehicle master keys.
- False identification cards, items with police insignia, citizenship documents, or birth certificates.
- Counterfeit currency, coins and stamps, tickets, as well as equipment designed to make them. Counterfeit, replica, or knock-off brand name goods. Material that infringes copyright, including software or other digital goods you are not authorized to sell, warez, bootlegs.
- Tickets you are not allowed to sell, including airline tickets that restrict transfer. Coupons or gift cards that restrict transfer or which you are not authorized to sell. Lottery tickets, sports trading card 'grab bags', raffle tickets, sweepstakes entries, slot machines, other gambling items.
- Used or rebuilt batteries, or batteries containing mercury.
- Used bedding and clothing, unless sanitized in accordance with law.
- Non-packaged food items or adulterated food.
- Bulk email or mailing lists that contain names, addresses, phone numbers, or other personal identifying information.
The following links may be helpful: